Part Time Transitional Independent Living Residential Counselor
Position Summary: The Residential Counselor is responsible for the operations of the home and creating a family-like atmosphere that supports the development and trauma needs of each resident. Residential Counselors perform their duties relatively free from direct supervision, needing to act at all times in a professional manner.
This position is focused primarily upon serving the youth of the program through advancing the mission of the organization. While working within a home team schedule, staff will be required to be flexible with regard to the seven day a week needs of the GEMS TIL residents of the 24-hour therapeutic residential facility and be on call every few weeks based on the crisis schedule. The position requires participation in trainings, satisfied through in-house programs offered by GEMS or third party providers, with a commitment of at least 10-20 trainings hours per year. The position will have at least an annual performance evaluation. This current position posting requires at least 1-3 shifts a week commitment, along with coverage and crisis management as needed, attending weekly staff meetings, and participation in the “on-call” crisis roster.
Tasks and Responsibilities: This statement of duties is for purpose of identifying this position but it is not limited to:
- I. Youth Development
- Know and follow GEMS program policies and procedures regarding the care and development of residents.
- Assume responsibility for residents in the TIL house, including daily decisions regarding health, safety, and discipline.
- Responsible for physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and academic development of residents in accordance with individual service plans and GEMS program policies.
- Assures that residents’ daily schedule is followed
- Engage in inside and outside activities with the residents
- II. Behavior Management
- Feedback is clear, specific, timely and respectful
- Effectively communicates behavior choices to residents, outlining the positive and negative consequences of their choices
- Communication is adjusted to meet the resident’s development level and style of communication
- Address negative behaviors with a positive reinforcement
- III. Academics
- Provide individual assistance and tutoring as needed.
- Assist in college, high school, or GED preparation of each resident as needed.
- IV. Household Management
- Assure the home functions in accordance with GEMS program and local licensing standards.
- Ensure maintenance needs are communicated to supervisor for all program property.
- Assist residents as necessary to maintain a clean and safe environment, and for home to function including cooking, cleaning, shopping, and possibly driving
- Perform periodic inspections of the facility per supervisory approval
- Perform minor maintenance cleaning
- Ability to perform household tasks like shopping, cooking, cleaning and minor property care that may require bending, lifting and carrying.
- Inspect that site is in good condition before leaving for the day
- V. Administrative and Record Keeping
- Complete required documentation and/or reports of activities in a timely and accurate fashion
- Properly track and document all approved expenses (laundry log, emergency needs etc.), and must maintain responsibility of petty cash funds during each shift including signing in and signing out funds
- Maintain confidentiality, as per GEMS practices and confidentiality guidelines
- Perform support functions such as filing, answering phone calls, etc.
- VI. Community Relations
- Role model for resident’s positive relations with neighbors, community groups, schools, authorities, and peers, etc
- GED/HS Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Able and available to work 12:00AM – 9:30AM shifts
- 3–5 years experience working with youth
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Girls Educational and Mentoring Services
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to gather and synthesize data
- Adapts strategy to changing conditions and communicates changes effectively.
- Speaks clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations.
- Writes clearly and informatively, varies writing style to meet specific needs.
- Adept at managing multiple projects and complex situations.
|Attention to Detail||Attitude Toward Others||Emotional Control|
|Empathetic Outlook||Excellent written and verbal communication||Flexibility|
|Following Directions||Initiative||Meeting Standards|
|Multitasking||Personal Accountability||Project/Task and Goals Focus|
|Respect for Policies||Team Player||Excellent Administrative Duties|
GEMS Core Values
|Development Grounded||Trauma Informed||Culturally Competent|
|Gender Responsive||Strengths Based||Social Justice Oriented|
|Survivor Leadership||Transformative Relationship|
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume and salary requirement with Part Time Transitional Independent Living Residential Counselor in the subject line to our Operations Department at firstname.lastname@example.org . WE WILL BE REVIEWING ONLY THOSE RESUMES WITH SALARY REQUIREMENT INCLUDED. No phone calls please!
SURVIVORS AND WOMEN OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!