Position Summary: The Development Director is responsible for the development and implementation of all initiatives to increase financial support and organizational awareness. The Development Director oversees all aspects of the organization’s fundraising plans and ensures the effective design, development and implementation of all external communication, including GEMS social media platform, media and public relations initiatives. The right candidate can develop and execute a well thought out development plan, bring creative and innovative ideas to fundraising, while juggling multiple deadlines in a fast-paced and growing organization. Most critically, the Development Director carries out their role with a clear and consistent sense of organizational mission and values, and a strong commitment to integrity and accountability to the girls and young women served.
Tasks and Responsibilities: This statement of duties is for purpose of identifying this position but it is not limited to:
- Manages a development plan that ties directly to the organization’s strategic plan, incorporating annual and campaign objectives
- Develops and implements long term and short term strategies to secure gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government to increase financial support for mission impact through our programs
- Proactively develops and leads the strategic process for identification, cultivation and solicitation, and securing major gift contributions from individuals
- Leads the department in the strategic development and implementation of an integrated communication plan that ensures consistency of messages to achieve major impact for resource development
- Oversees social media platforms and organizational branding
- Oversees grant-related communications, including proposals, presentations, reports, and budgets for funding projects, fundraising letters and appeals
- Oversees database management
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the development and communications functions and supervises the Development Manager, Grants Coordinator and additional development staff as required
- Creates a stable and enriching working environment that is rewarding for everyone in the team
- Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors and ensure compliance with code of ethics principles and standards of professional conduct of fundraising executives.
- Work closely with the fiscal department and CFO to ensure adherence to budget and strategic fiscal planning
- Represent the organization and the CEO at activities, events and meetings
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree preferred)
- Eligible to work in the country
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising or in related fields
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in managing different fundraising methods
- Strong understanding of all type of fundraising sources
- Proven fundraising track record with foundations, corporations, government, individual donors, elected officials, and major donors
- Proven experience in event planning preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of fundraising mechanics and extensive knowledge of fundraising trends across multiple markets and media
- Demonstrated success in shaping, implementing, and leading programs that have increased support from major donors, corporations, and foundations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with varied constituencies, including Board members ,staff, prospective donors, volunteers, and institutional funders
- Proven management and leadership capabilities, including ability to collaborate, inspire teamwork, and motivate others to work together toward a common goal
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data to create appropriate frameworks and models
- Ability to exercise a high degree of discretion and independent judgment
- Prior experience fundraising for girls and women’s organizations or social justice organizations a plus
- Impeccable integrity, judgment, and discretion needed to handle confidential matter
|Attention to Detail||Attitude Toward Others||Emotional Control|
|Empathetic Outlook||Excellent written and verbal communication||Flexibility|
|Following Directions||Initiative||Meeting Standards|
|Multitasking||Personal Accountability||Project/Task and Goals Focus|
|Respect for Policies||Team Player||Excellent Administrative Duties|
GEMS Core Values
|Development Grounded||Trauma Informed||Culturally Competent|
|Gender Responsive||Strengths Based||Social Justice Oriented|
|Survivor Leadership||Transformative Relationship|
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume and salary requirement with Development Director in the subject line to our Operations Department at firstname.lastname@example.org . WE WILL BE REVIEWING ONLY THOSE RESUMES WITH SALARY REQUIREMENT INCLUDED. No phone calls please!
SURVIVORS AND WOMEN OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!