A World For Girls
Inspired by the GEMS PSA “A World for Girls”, this campaign is a way to create a future that affirms girls and young women, a world that prevents commercial sexual exploitation and domestic trafficking. A World For Girls gives you concrete steps to support women and girls such as investing in young people, promoting educational equity, eliminating poverty, advocating for equal pay, supporting empowerment and ending gender-based violence–all measures that can prevent commercial sexual exploitation and domestic trafficking.
Join A World For Girls campaign
• INVEST in young people by becoming a mentor, volunteering at a school, or getting involved with a youth organization in your community. Mentoring helps because it tells a young person that there is someone who cares about them and reinforces that they do not have to face challenges alone.
• PROMOTE educational equity by actively engaging in the educational system in your community and communities nearby, becoming involved in issues like educational access, securing resources for all schools, and advocating for policy change. Educational equity creates educational success.
• ADDRESS poverty by supporting organizations that ensures access to basic needs such as food, transportation, medical care, shelter, and clothing. Helping others gain access to the resources necessary for living and improving their lives creates thriving communities.
• ADVOCATE for equal pay by becoming informed about the issues of compensation discrimination and publicly champion efforts that ensure men and women are paid the same. Equal pay for women acknowledges that the work women do is as meaningful as men and allows individuals and families to flourish.
• SUPPORT empowerment of women and girls by fostering environments that encourage and support their development. Through empowerment, women and girls can achieve spiritual, political, social, educational, and economic strength in their lives, and beyond.
• END gender-based violence by encouraging the positive development of boys and men, educating boys on what it means to love and respect women and girls, and engaging male allies to share their vision of a world free from gender-based violence with other men in their communities. The prevention of domestic and sexual violence is every man’s responsibility.
Ways to Join the Campaign
Take a Step: Explore one of these issues and use the resources below to learn more. Share what you learn on Facebook and Twitter to educate your community.
Make a Difference: Commit to addressing one of the issues above. Visit some of the resources below to educate yourself on the issue and talk about your commitment.
Change the World: Get involved in one of the recommended organizations below—become a mentor, volunteer, take action—and then share your experiences on social media using the hashtag #aworldforgirls.
Resources for A World For Girls campaigners
Very Young Girls documentary film
Girls Like Us book