Chief Operating Officer
Girls Educational and Mentoring Services (GEMS) is seeking a dynamic and talented individual to step into the newly created Chief Operating Officer (COO) position at the agency. The COO’s primary duties will be to manage and support daily operations and administration, and to act as a strategic thought partner with the Executive Director (ED) during a time of significant organizational growth and development. Responsible for leveraging the ED to actively promote the mission of the organization externally and to maximize the potential impact of key partnerships and opportunities, the COO will focus on office management, human resources, technology, performance management and program site needs. With guidance from the ED, the COO will work collaboratively with the senior management team, which includes a Chief Program Officer (CPO) and a Chief Fiscal Officer (CFO) to develop and implement effective systems in fundraising, finance and operations, program, and external relations. In keeping with the mission of the organization, the COO will interact with girls and young women in GEMS’ programs participate in creating and sustaining an empowering environment and will serve as a leader in the effort to foster a community of compassion and support among members.
-Work collaboratively with the Communications and Development Director, Program Director, CFO and CPO to ensure open communication between development, program, and finance functions to ensure the overall alignment of organizational needs and the development and management of funding opportunities
-Support management of key funder relationships
-Facilitate and ensure strategic reporting to the ED, the senior management team, and the Board of Directors to inform critical decisions and strategic planning
-Supervises the monitoring of all contracts – public and private — to ensure compliance with fiscal and programmatic reporting.
-Works with Development and Program heads to ensure that fiscal requirements for grants and contracts are identified, realized and monitored.
-Assists the Development staff in the preparation of periodic reports to private funding sources.
-The COO will work closely with the ED to be the primary staff contact with the Board of Directors
-The COO will be responsible for planning Board meetings, maintaining the Board binder
FINANCIAL AND OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT
-With ED and CFO, monitor financial health and cash flow of the organization, developing and implementing strategies to enhance sustainability and growth
-Supervise the Contracts Manager to ensure accurate, efficient, and timely completion of financial reports and documents for contracts and funders
-As a member of the senior management team, provide rotating coverage and support for the program office including effective crisis management
-Develop and cultivate new and existing pro-bono partnerships with law firms, fiscal management and campaign consultants
FACILITIES DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT
-Oversees the maintenance of facilities in conjunction with the CPO and Residential Director
-Directs the IT function for the organization in conjunction with the CFO
-Oversees and monitors the development of a strategic IT plan to support the long term growth of the organization.
-Oversees the Human Resources function for the organization in conjunction with the CFO. This includes but is not limited to employment practices, performance management, compensation, benefits and compliance/reporting.
-Oversees the administrative functions including purchasing, reception, and office services to ensure appropriate support for staff and programs.
- At least 7 years of experience leading multiple departments in an entrepreneurial nonprofit environment including fiscal responsibility (accounting, budget, cash management, reporting, compliance), fundraising, operations, and staff management, with at least 3-5 years at management level
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the organization; direct experience working with survivors of sex trafficking preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, strong professional judgment, flexibility, resourcefulness and the ability to respond to crisis with compassion and clarity
- Successful record of people management with the ability to motivate others to adopt effective practices
- Excellent project management experience with strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities in an active environment
- Professional written and verbal communication skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively in front of multiple audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and databases
- Experience with strategic planning and implementation
- Sense of humor is a must
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience required -A high degree of competency with technology and software applications, including Microsoft Office products (advanced Microsoft Excel).
- Survivors of the sex industry/trafficking or formerly incarcerated are encouraged to apply
- Women and POC are strongly encouraged to apply
Please send a thoughtful cover letter expressing your specific interest in GEMS and this position along with a resume to Tia Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Chief Operating Officer in the subject line. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE